All Regimes Take Notice We The People Of The World Stand For Freedom Without Oppression!
One can reason with ignorance, but it is futile to argue with stupidity!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Letter to Senator Michael Bennet (D-CO)

Senator Bennet,

I appreciate your reply to my letter concerning campaign finance reform.  Thank you for taking the time to write me back.  I am a supporter of changing the way we finance campaigns, however I don't believe the current bills go far enough to remove special interest influence from elections, or from Washington.

In your letter you say  "Opponents of public financing question whether real or apparent corruption from private
fundraising is as serious a problem as critics claim. They argue that public financing would
be an inappropriate use of taxpayer dollars and would allocate taxpayer dollars to
candidates they do not support."


My reply is this.  First the problem of corruption from private fundraising is serious.  Those who say it isn't are most likely involved in the corruption we are talking about.  Second, my tax money goes to support wars and policies, that I do not support.  My tax dollars go to pay politicians I do not support a salary.  If we truly want to have a government of the people and for the people,  we will remove money from the equation.

As I said in my previous letter we have laws to regulate influence peddling when we should have laws against what in most other contexts would be a felony.  It is time to change this.  Failure to do so is failure for this country.

When I look at Washington today I see an ineffective government that can't get things done.  Where is health care reform?  We haven't closed Gitmo.  We have no accountability for torture committed in our name. We are still losing valuable members of the military to don't ask, don't tell.  The banks are still doing their business as usual at the expense of the people of this country.  AIG owes taxpayers $185 billion, and they are paying out over $100 million in bonuses to the same people who drove the economy to the brink of collapse.  This is unacceptable.

The process of making laws is broken and we must now have super majorities to get business done in this country.  It is time for a complete overhaul of Congress.  If this can't be done, then maybe we do need to go to the streets.

I was also disappointed to get an invitation to see the President as a fundraiser for you at a thousand dollars a pop for the first reception and $15000 for the second one.  Sorry sir, I don't have that kind of money.  I can barely pay my mortgage to Bank Of Amerika and can't get them to work with me to rearrange my loan to reduce the payment.  It made me smile to see Ken Lewis and BoA charged with fraud today.

Senator,  I hope you haven't drank the water in Washington, but it appears you have.  If you and your fellow almost super majority can't get it done soon it is going to be a rough election campaign.  Good luck with that.  Please sir I implore you to do the work of the people and tell the corporations and the special interests, that we are not for sale.

Thank you,
Rev. Jeremy Cook


No comments:

I Am An Ordained Minister Of The Universal Life Church

The Universal Life Church Monastery


Click image to visit The Universal Life Church.

View my profile at the Universal Life Church Ministers Network.